Monday, January 18, 2010

The Young Victoria


Unexpected but enjoyable, the words I would use to describe The Young Victoria. I assumed it would be a somewhat dry historical film, really just made to give Emily Blunt a chance to take on a serious role. I discovered, however, that it is a charming romance with a very enjoyable cast. The movie is set in a somewhat tumultuous political time, and Blunt certainly does not take the role lightly, but the politics seem to take a back seat to the love story. This was not a bad choice, just one I was not expecting (probably one I would have expected though, if I'd bothered to read the tag-lines on the posters). The romance seems genuine, a bit of an oddity in a time of arranged marriages, giving it more of the fun of a fantasy to watch. Blunt does a wonderful job of showing the importance of her character’s perseverance and strength in a time when women were not known for either. The movie, as can be inferred from the title, is more about Victoria’s struggles rather than her kingdom’s. Her family matters, friendships, and courters, although all involved in the political scandal of the day, tell Victoria’s story instead of England’s. I was delighted to see that Paul Bettany is in this movie. Although, I do have to admit some bias here, as his character in A Knight’s Tale is one of my favorite of all time, and I have rather enjoyed most of his work since then. Overall, don’t take any males you know, but for a girls night, it will be quite suitable.

For this movie’s song I used John Mayer’s “Who Says.” My version is probably not the next big hit, but hey, the movie wasn’t exactly an action flick. The song can be found at http://www.lala.com/#song/504684652369972034

Who says I can’t be queen?

Don’t need a man on which to lean.

It’s not my intention to be mean.

But, who says I can’t be queen?

Who says I can’t fall in love?

Rule a country, and be politically tough

Have babies, hell, all of the above.

Who says I can’t fall in love?

It’s been a long time living with my mama.

It’s been a long time without a man.

I may fail on the road to my freedom.

But my baby says he’ll catch me when I land.

No comments:

Post a Comment