Saturday, June 15, 2013

Indie Movie Round Up! (Kings of Summer, Before Midnight, The East, and Frances Ha)

You know those movies that you hear about in passing like twice, and then forget about? Well, I've seen them all! Check out which ones I LOVED and which ones you can continue ignoring. I'll even put a playlist of the trailers up top here, so you can check out which ones you're interested in (open in YouTube for the easiest viewing).


The Kings of Summer


The Kings of Summer was a summer movie I was definitely pumped to see. It's a coming-of-age story, but not one done by the same old people in Hollywood. It's from a fresh voice, and that really shows in the film. There's an excitement and a freedom to the characters and to the filmmaking that makes this a really enjoyable film.

The basic concept is that a couple of teenagers get really sick of their parents and decide to build a house in the woods to live in. While the kids-not-getting-along-with-their parents bit is a little tired, the idea of actually doing something about it is new. Normally, I think complaining is about all teenagers can summon the effort to do, but these guys actually head out into the semi-wilderness and build a semi-house. The cast is exceptional and the story is heart-felt. You may recognize that funny-looking kid, but I'm not going to tell you from where because you'll judge him, and his performance is worth a judgement-free viewing (check this clip for proof). Although there were perhaps a couple too many slo-mo beautiful summer nature shots for me; overall, I would highly recommend you check this little indie flick out!

Before Midnight


First off, go watch Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, then we can talk (or you could not do that and just keep reading). Those two films are the precursors to Before Midnight; although, this is unlike any other series you've seen before. Before Sunrise introduces you to two young people (Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy) who fall in love over one night. Sounds like something you've seen before? Well it's nothing like anything you've seen before. This series is all about real conversations - saying the things people actually say to each other, talking about what's actually important to you. When these two characters discuss a topic, you, as an audience-member, think about how you feel about that topic as well; you don't just sit and watch them talk, you engage. Now, this all sounds a little unbelievable and ridiculous when you write it down, but it's a truly great film-watching experience. So, like I said, seeing the first two films really enhances Before Midnight, but you can also enjoy the film without having seen them. I don't want to give too much away in case you do decide to go back and watch the first two films (which I SERIOUSLY highly recommend because they're GREAT). But, Before Midnight beautifully carries on the tradition and magic of the first two films, and I could not stop smiling the entire time.

The East


Brit Marling (After Earth, Arbitrage, the one on the poster who is not Ellen Page or Alexander Skarsgard) stars an an agent who is sent in undercover to debunk an environmental terrorism group. What is an environmental terrorism group you may ask? A group that does terroristy-type things (official term) against people or companies who harm the environment. Ellen Page and Alexander Skarsgard are members of this group. 

What it comes down to is that Marling begins to understand and appreciate this group and starts to question he loyalties towards her employer. While not an earth-shattering idea, all the performances are so excellent, this film really delivers a punch. You connect with Marling and the group members. In fact, there's basically no hint of doubt that what they're doing is right in the context of the film. Their acts only border on violent and work for the betterment of the lives of many. The age-old question of who determines what is right comes up of course, but for the movie's sake, you side pretty easily with this tree-hugging, revenge-seeking bunch. My one problem with films like these are that they stir outrage within me about the tyranny of corporations that harm others thoughtlessly, but I never find any way to use that outrage productively. My own fault, I know, but I don't think I'm alone in it. BASICALLY, if you're looking for a well-acted thriller, I'd check it out. 

Frances Ha


Frances Ha goes at the bottom because I liked it the least. I liked the rest of these quite a bit though, so that's not as negative as it seems. I think a lot of the romance of this film doesn't quite get through to me because I live in New York, and it is set in New York. Maybe that means I should love it all the more, but I think the very fact that I do understand many of these situations makes it less easy to revel in. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to revel in this movie.

It definitely has charm at certain points and is realistically and well-written. But, I felt a little too much like I was watching an extended episode of Girls with a main character only slightly more likable than Lena Dunham. At the same time, watching other people make the same mistakes you make is both painful and a bit of a relief. It's absolutely an original film that's different from anything else out there, but the voice and circumstances somehow feel familiar. I'd give it one hipster thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment