Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Gearing Up for the Oscars!


Guess who's seen all of the movies nominated for best picture. YEP, THIS GUY! And now, you can tell all of your friends your very intelligent opinions (well, my very intelligent opinions) on them without having to see them (although, really, go see some of them). Just for kicks, (and because my memory will get worse) I'm going to review them starting with the ones I saw first going to the most recent.

First up, one of my favorites, Argo. Now, I've already done a quick review for Argo, so I'll give you the latest Hollywood dirt on the film and repost the review below.
This film's taken home a lot of the pre-Oscar awards (Screen Actors Guild, Producers Guild, Golden Globe), and I don't think anyone could be more excited for it's talented (but snubbed by the Oscars) director, Ben Affleck. Who doesn't like a comeback story? He started by winning an Oscar for co-writing the incredible Good Will Hunting; he fell into the depths of Mordor when he did Gigli and was a part of the Jennifer Lopez version of Benifer; and now, he has become Hollywood's "It" man again and directed some great films, including Gone Baby Gone, The Town and this year's Argo. The big controversy is that he was not nominated for the Oscar for Best Director. He took home the Golden Globe for Best Director, beating out some formidable opponents like Steven Spielberg, Ang Lee, and Quentin Tarantino. There's been speculation that Ben could receive enough write-in votes to win, but the last time someone achieved that was in the 1930s. I don't think he's holding his breath. How's that for some water cooler talk?
My mini review from last year:

Can I just say that I find it hilarious that everyone now thinks that Ben Affleck is the genius who wrote Good Will Hunting and not Matt Damon? LOVE IT. There are some things I really liked about this movie. Pretty much the first thing you notice is that this movie presents an unbiased view, which is entirely refreshing. It doesn't scream YAY AMERICA! It tells a multi-faceted story. I appreciate that. Also, I don't believe most of our generation knows much about the Iran Hostage Crisis (an assumption I make because I didn't know very much about it), and this movie educates while it entertains. It gives you great characters and a fascinating story, while you are immersed in history. Besides that the time warping of clothes and sets was done impeccably. Thumbs up for Ben. This smart and suspenseful(!) film is destined for Oscar glory.



No comments:

Post a Comment